Saturday, June 12, 2010

Record of a Girlhood-Fanny Kemble p490

I found the contents of this passage to be very interesting and much like an advertisement for steam engines. In fact, much of it I found to be amusing but clever. For example: “She (for they make these curious little fire-horses all mares)” (p490). I found it quite ironic how steam engines are referred to as being female. Though I contemplated on it much, I can find no connection between the two. However, Kemble seemed to find some similarities:

“She goes upon two wheels, which are her feet, and are moved by bright steel legs called pistons; these are propelled by stream, and in proportion as more stream is applied to the upper extremities (the hip-joints, I suppose)…” (p 490).

Of course this was most likely used so that they would appear more appealing to those who opposed their construction. If someone had never seen a stream engine before and had only drawn from this reference, I think that they would expect to find a very attractive piece of machinery. Even to those who had grown accustomed to the horse and carriage, comfort could be provided for them: “The reins, bit, and bridle of this wonderful beast…This snorting little animal, which I felt rather inclined to pat, was then harnessed to our carriage…” (p 491). This was sure to bring in all the horse-lovers. I think that having this actress be the first to describe her steam engine experience was extremely witty. But one would have to wonder whether these were words of her own composition, and how many people were disappointed after relying on such a passage and then finding quite the contrary.

3 comments:

  1. Trenae,

    Very good focus on this passage from Fanny Kemble's account of her first ride on a steam locomotive. Very good presentation of and commentary on specific passages from the text. I like the way you first provide the passages for your reader, and then your thoughts and speculations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Fanny Kemble being the first to ride the steam engine was not a coincidence and it questions her authenticity. Public relations is not a new trend at all. But I do think it was an amazing feat for that time to experience a new way of travel that is faster and more secure than the previous means of travel. It shows how the Industrial Revolution impacted writing and the feeling of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be the wrong approach but with the comparison to steam engines and woman I saw steam engines as a being loud and full of hot air and when compared to women who are sometimes viewed as being loud and blowing off worthless steam that was the first connection I drew. Of course I did not agree but it may be that I read too much into the comparison.

    ReplyDelete