Friday, June 4, 2010

Samuel Taylor Coleridge Frost At Midnight (p343-345)

I think that this was a beautiful poem that focuses on the sweetness of childhood innocence. The man character is sitting quietly one night in his house after everyone else has fallen asleep (line 4). With him is an infant child who is sleeping peacefully beside him (lines 6-7). During this time he begins to remember things from his childhood, such as the school and church (lines 23-43). Then he looks at the sleeping baby and begins to describe the innocence and beauty of this child, such as his placid breathing and peaceful spirit (lines 44-49). The desire that he has for this child is that he would be brought up in a country home; in a place where he can be connected with the nature around him. He relates the child to things of nature such as the breeze, lakes and shores (lines 54-55). Obviously he finds that cities have nothing to offer; that being raised in a city is not the best life that one could live. I would have to say that I completely agree with him. I currently live in the country, and it is the most beautiful thing. Being able to look out the window and see miles of trees and grass, or see small animals running across the yard, causes a peace to overcome me. When I went to Macon my first year of college, I really disliked it. All I could hear was the sounds of rushing cars and police sirens. The way he feels that growing up in the country really brings one close to nature, I can really relate to, there is absolutely an advantage.

4 comments:

  1. Trenae,

    Good insights into Coleridge's poem, and I like the way you incorporate your own experiences in coming to the city into it. Be sure not to quote from the poem when you analyze it, though, and don't just summarize it or give a list of line numbers. Don't leave it up to your reader to look up the lines and interpret them; it is your responsibility to do so here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trenae,

    I like your interpretation of the piece very much. I didn't grow up in the country, but I live in a somewhat "country" area now. I can relate to enjoying less traffic and serene peaceful evenings. I also enjoyed this piece because Coleridge did a nice job of expressing the father's love and admiration of his child amd family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like your post and like you I grew up in the country and would not trade anything. I grew up living next to a lake and alot of fields to play in and it helped grow up as a child and have the ability to be adventurous. I believe that the city causes people to close in on themselves and not be able to go back to their childhood antics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot relate growing up in the country,I grew up in metro St. Louis till I was 12, and was devistated to learn that I would be moving to the middle of nowhere in Maconga (macon,ga) but now that I am here I can say I relate much more to the post and piece of work, the childhood I had was dual, one industrial the other nature, like this poem describes.

    ReplyDelete